Local authorities must arrange for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) for whom they are responsible, as well as their parents, and young people with SEN or disabilities, to be provided with information and advice about matters which relate to their SEN or disabilities, and matters relating to health and social care.

This must include information, advice and support on the take-up and management of personal budgets. 

In addition, in carrying out their duties under Part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014, local authorities must have regard to the importance of providing children and their parents and young people with the information and support necessary to participate in decisions. 

Information, advice and support should be provided through a dedicated and easily identifiable service. Local authorities have established SENDIAS services to provide information, advice and support to parents in relation to SEN. 

In addition, many local authorities provide or commission information, advice and support services for young people. 

Local authorities should build on these existing services to provide the information, advice and support. 

Information, advice and support services should be impartial, confidential and accessible.

Links to other, useful websites

Trafford SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (Trafford SENDIASS) is not responsible for the content of any websites that are listed here.